Friday, November 26, 2010

From Lynn Paulus

I've started typing this tribute dozens of times, but nothing seems
good enough for Nick. He's been my brother for a decade, from the
first moment I met him. My times with the brothers are among the best
in my life and always will be. I remember drinking at the apartment,
long discussions about everything and nothing, fights in the parking
lot, and this incredible feeling of family. We belonged to each other.
During every greeting and every parting, there were hugs. I will
always remember Nick's hugs - it was like you were the only person in
the world and he was always overjoyed to see you, these massive
bearhugs that made both of you start laughing. That's just how he was,
though, a huge, bright personality that encompassed all of us. Nothing
was wrong when you talked to him, even if only for the time you were
talking, even if you were miserable the instant before and after.
Whenever I've thought of Nick over the years, I've smiled, instantly
picturing his enormous grin. People say that the world is a sadder
place whenever anyone passes away, but in very few instances is it
felt by anyone who had ever met the person. Nick made this place
better just by being here and I always felt that, no matter where he
was. Nick and I went for a long time with only sporadic communication,
but you can do that with a brother. The years melt away when you talk
again and it's like we were back on the terrace, talking about who
knows what. I'm so glad that we'd recently been in touch, that I got
even a small chance to catch up with him and to be reassured that he's
still the same Nick, after all these years and everything that's
happened in between. No one who knew Nick could help being changed for
the better, looking at the world in a new way, and not one of us will
ever forget him.

I love you forever, brother, and I will always carry your light with
me. We all will.

No comments:

Post a Comment